In my last blog post on VPS, I wrote Why Moving to an IaaS Offering will Pay Dividends. At that time I introduced a three part series on the topic of VPS and Beyond to highlight:
- VPS versus Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): The definitions, differences and market opportunity
- Why IaaS: How IaaS can solve service providers and customers VPS problems and the capabilities necessary to reap these benefits
- Transitioning from VPS services to IaaS: Why IaaS is the starting point from which to grow PaaS and SaaS services and a roadmap for delivery
Attempting to grow a service provider business by providing VPS will not offer the future-proofing and revenue opportunities available with the cloud. Instead, service providers must look to deliver a cloud platform that is more beneficial and flexible than existing VPS technologies.
IaaS Benefits for You and Your Customer
The use cases that IaaS enables can be dramatically different from typical VPS usage, and the biggest reason for that is the flexibility offered by IaaS around provisioning of resources.
IaaS addresses all of the mentioned use cases where the ability to scale to meet customer demands with agility and flexibility is essential. IaaS can be dramatically different from typical VPS usage, and the biggest reason for that is the flexibility offered by IaaS around provisioning of resources. Additional benefits to both the cloud service provider and its customers include:
- Rapid scalability and flexibility to cope with changing business requirements
- A more cost effective solution compared to traditional siloed infrastructure for both the customer and provider
- Metered consumption, on demand
- The ability to provision resources at scale
- Single management system improving efficiency
- Multi-tenancy leading to higher usage ratios and margins
- Workload abstraction from hardware to increase resiliancy
- Elasticity to rapidly provision and deprovision
- Increased SLA capabilities
Download part two of VPS and Beyond: Why IaaS will Solve Problems Beyond VPS where we cover the problems IaaS is solving beyond VPS and what this means for the service provider by showcasing five areas where IaaS is better equipped to meet the requirements of a cloud service provider’s customers and business. Outlined within are the benefits both you and your customer will receive and the capabilities required to offer a true cloud IaaS.